Clinical Neurophysiology and multi modal imaging in Child- and Adolescent Psychiatry
Contact person: Professor Dr. Licenciado en psicología (UNED, Madrid, Spain) Bender
Collaborators (in alphabetical order):
- Prof. Dr. C. Gomez, Universität Sevilla, Spanien
- PD Dr. T. Kammer, Universität Ulm
- Prof. Dr. Ch. Klein, Universität Freiburg / Bangor, UK
- Prof. Dr. M. Laucht, Zentralinstitut für Seelische Gesundheit, Mannheim
- Prof. Dr. F. Resch, Universität Heidelberg
- Prof. Dr. M. Romanos, Universität München
- Prof. Dr. M. Weisbrod, Universität Heidelberg
The laboratory for Neurophysiology is equipped with a TMS-compatible 64-channel-DC-EEG system, that makes the recording of evoked and event-related potentials with the help of modern stimulation software (presentation) possible. Single pulse and repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation is applied by using a Mag&More TMS device, which permits a precise synchronization of EEG measurement and TMS-stimulation. The TMS is carried out by means of neuronavigation (Brain Voyager), a method that enables us to manipulate all superficially localized areas of the cerebral cortex in certain cognitive paradigms at a certain time. It is possible to stimulate as well as to impede brain activity. The integration of EEG and TMS-techniques has become the preferred method for the research with children and adolescents and provides real-time information on TMS -induced effects in different brain areas. We are thus able to explore brain functions during the maturation phase of children and adolescents. In this regard, our particular fields of interest are attention-deficit hyperactivity-disorder, tic disorders and Tourette Syndrome, pervasive developmental disorders (Autism Spectrum Disorders) and post-traumatic stress disorders.
- SOSTA-Net: Evaluation of a group training program to increase social competences of individuals with an Autism-Spectrum-Disorder.
Funding: German Research Foundation (DFG).
Electrophysiological parameters will be collected before and after therapy to detect modifications.
- Disconnectivity in Autism-Spectrum-Disorders – Consequences from an imbalance of excitability and inhibition.
Funding: LOEWE-program by the state of Hesse.
Using TMS-evoked potentials and event-related coherence recordings we will investigate disturbed communication between brain areas in patients with an Autism-Spectrum-Disorder.
- “I can´t get the pictures out of my mind – sensory short-term memory traces and intrusive re-experiencing in post-traumatic stress disorders”.
Funding: Medical faculty of the Goethe University Frankfurt a. M.
- TMS-evoked potentials in children with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity-Disorder.
Funding: Riese-Foundation of the Goethe University Frankfurt a. M.
- Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation of the motor cortex in children with ADHD with a diagnosed hyperactive/impulsive subtype.
Should you be interested in writing a medical thesis or a psychological dissertation, please contact Prof. Dr. med. Stephan Bender.
Since the neurophysiological laboratory in Dresden is still under construction, Projects 1 to 5 are currently conducted in cooperation with the Goethe University Frankfurt a. M.